HIV Hepatitis Mini-Residency Series-June 2016
The mini-residency is a two and a half day intensive HIV educational experience. Lectures on a variety of HIV related topics are interspersed with case study and clinical encounters with patients where the lecture information can be immediately applied to real-time patient situations. Participants will also have opportunity to discuss questions and cases with Dr. Sherer and his colleagues.
The target audience includes physicians, fellows/residents, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and pharmacists in infectious disease, primary care, internal medicine, and family practice who are or are planning to care for patients living with HIV and related conditions.
At the conclusion of this educational activity, participants will be able to:
- Identify current trends in the HIV epidemic and their implications for clinical care;
- Describe the virologic and immunologic features of HIV infection in adults;
- Describe the course of HIV infection and clinical manifestations at each stage of disease;
- Explain laboratory tests used to diagnose HIV and assess a patient's clinical status;
- Identify current treatment approaches for the clinical management of early HIV disease;
- Discuss the diagnosis and treatment of common HIV clinical presentations;
- Identify patient issues/concerns that affect the primary care of persons with HIV infection.
The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 16.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Nurses and other healthcare professionals will receive a Certificate of Participation. For information on the applicability and acceptance of Certificates of Participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by the ACCME, please consult your professional licensing board.